ADS-B and SJT Approach
From: Donald Treadwell (pilot.dtgmail.com)
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2019 12:09:43 -0700 (PDT)
     I would rather not call San Angelo approach as they never ask you to just
slow down; all they can do is divert you away from the airport. Also, it seems
to be a training position for controllers wanting to learn how to work busier
areas.
     I called approach today coming back from the ranch at 4500 feet because I
needed a code to get through our local TFR southeast of town, which I fly
directly through, or under, on each trip to the ranch. There was no reply for a
while, and then I was asked to repeat the call to Midland approach. So I
repeated my request, 20 southeast of Mathis with uniform, landing Mathis.
I was given a code and asked to ident.
     When I was 7 miles from Mathis, I was asked to change course to 360 for
arriving traffic.  I could see there was no one ahead of me in the vicinity of
Mathis, so I checked the only aircraft around and sure enough, 55Bravo was
getting priority.  I think it was a customs Citation.  I hesitated and then
keyed the mic, “How come I have to divert for traffic behind me that is twice
as far from the airport and at a higher altitude?”
     No answer.
     So I repeated my question. The controller said he was ahead of me at 1
o’clock. I had him at 2 o’clock and only because I was turned away from the
airport.
     I was told to change to tower frequency.
     I reported 3 mile base to the tower, traffic in sight.
     The tower offered me runway 21, which I accepted with 7 knots of wind at
180.
     I landed, taxied to the end of 21 and was asked to hold for arriving
traffic. Eventually the jet landed, and I was cleared to cross 18 once the jet
had slowed to taxi speed.
     I really wanted to key the mic and say, “Welcome to San Angelo 55 Bravo”
but it was in no way the jet pilot’s fault.
     So ADS-B can be used to train new controllers on the job on who has
priority and how a Cessna 172  seven miles out can beat a Citation fourteen
miles out to the airport and the parking area.
DT